We provide residential and commercial food scrap recycling services that divert food waste from your waste stream so it can be composted. Sign up today!
Food Scrap Recycling and Compost Delivery
According to the Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, the single largest component of solid waste sent to incinerators and landfills is food scraps. Sign up for curbside collection of food scraps at your home, school, office, or house of worship. Food scrap recycling removes 25-30% of your waste from the waste stream, which goes to an incinerator.
Learn all about Connecticut’s food waste problem and how we’re solving it on Sustainne’s blog and podcast interview with Nick Skeadas, Founder of Curbside Compost.
We are enthusiastic to have been selected to haul food scraps for composting for the Town of Darien’s pilot program started in October, 2018.
We compost for schools, municipal drop-offs and households. In 2018, we diverted 365 tons of food scraps from incinerators and landfills. Today, we compost 4,500 lbs of food scraps per day.
Sign up for our food scrap recycling services on our website; you’ll find a link to your right.
Composting is rewarding, but can be difficult to do on your own. We do all of the work, and you’re the one making it possible! Plus, because of our scale we can compost items that aren’t recommended for home composters, like meat and bones.
Curbside Compost partners with residents, schools, restaurants, businesses and events. Please reach out to discuss your food scrap recycling needs.
How food scrap recycling works:
1. Curbside Compost drops off your pail and lid on your designated collection day. Or, if you prefer not to wait, pick up a pail in Ridgefield at Basil Yoga Center. The pail is 5 gallons and is 15″ tall by 14″ wide. Most participants keep their pail in the kitchen, either under a sink or in a cabinet, garage or closet.
2. Without using a bag or bin liner for your food scraps, please leave your filled pail with that week’s food scraps at the end of or on your driveway by 8:00 AM on your designated pick-up day and we will replace it with a clean pail. If you live in a town that does not allow for waste to be left at the end of your driveway, we have to pick up your pail by your home (not on the curb). If you would like us to pick up the container on your property, we can do that. We run collections until 7:00 PM each night.
3. When you would like compost delivered, please order it online or reach out to us. We also deliver loose compost and mulch by the yard. When ordering bagged compost, we leave your compost with the clean pail.
YES, Please include in your pail!
2. Deli Products, Breads, Grains
3. Meats, Bones, Fish, Seafood, Shellfish
4. Eggs, Egg Shells, Dairy
5. Coffee Grounds, Coffee Filters, Tea Bags (no staples please)
6. Cut Flowers and small house plants that can fit in the pail
No, Please do not include
1. Food Stickers, Rubber Bands, Twist Ties, Food Tags
2. Paper Plates, Paper, Paper Products, Magazines
3. Plastics, Styrofoam, Packaging Material
4. Foil, Glass, Metal, Cardboard, Waxed Cardboard
We work with three CT DEEP permitted facilities to compost your food scraps. They include New England Compost, New Milford Farms and Quantum Biopower.